Ambulatory Patient Care Tech (PRN) - Fredericksburg, VA - (220002RQ)
The Ambulatory Patient Care Tech will work in collaboration with the multidisciplinary health care delivery team under the direction of the Registered Nurse, to perform basic nursing care activities, assist to maintain a safe, clean, stocked patient care setting, assist staff members and help direct patient flow
High School Diploma or GED (Required)
C.N.A, EMT, or PCT certification (required)
Minimum Work Experience
2 years experience in an acute health care setting–preferably pediatrics (Required)
- Collect data and accurately document information for meaningful use including the chief complaint, current medications, allergies tobacco/smoking history and smoke exposure for all patients as reported by family; accurately obtain vital signs (TPR, BP), height, weight and head circumference; orient the family at the time of the visit to the clinic environment, paperwork, etc.
- Recognize abnormalities and report such to the Registered Nurse or Provider; assist in screening patients for pain using appropriate pain scale; recognize indicators of abuse and neglect and escalate positive findings to the Registered Nurse or Provider; recognize and remain with any child in distress, immediately institute Basic Life Support procedures when necessary; escalate any of the above to Registered Nurse or Provider for positive screen.
- Provide basic nursing care (e.g., provide nourishment, assist patient with ambulating, escort patient at time of discharge, etc.).
- Check and ensure all relevant equipment such as, but not limited to, scales, stadiometers, vital signs machines, otoscopes and
- ophthalmoscopes, oxygen and suction are in working order; performs corrective actions as needed and/or informs the Registered Nurse or appropriate person of repair needs.
- Collect specimens for testing according to policy and procedure and/or perform specific testing per individual clinic assignment including but not limited to POCT , lab draws as applicable to setting.
- Inform patient/guardian of collection process according to procedure; inform family of other clinical resources; offer brochures for specific health care needs of the family.
- Meet Joint Commission/DOH documentation requirements for clinic area.
- Complete clean sweep tool weekly.
Patient Flow and Unit Efficiency
- Help maintain a neat orderly environment.
- Assist with the preparation of the exam room to receive patients.
- Prioritize tasks and special requests; complete all tasks or report the inability to complete the task
- Obtain equipment and supplies and maintain PAR levels.
- Monitor waiting room and ensure families are kept informed of delays; provide directions to lab, radiology, cafeteria, etc.
- Identify children/families with special needs (i.e., child on stretcher , oxygen use, patient requiring isolation).
- Contribute to a positive work environment.
- Confer with appropriate personnel concerning unanticipated or unfamiliar problems.
- Greet patient/family and recognize different levels of education and adjust to meet the families’ needs; address families’ anxiety level; adapt to different personalities and emotions; monitor and report concerns or complaints to the Clinic Manager.
- and maintain a courteous, calm, comforting, and professional demeanor with patient/guardian and with multidisciplinary team members and clinic personnel.
- Perform, evaluate and report QC protocol; identify and resolve QC failures; document resolutions; report problems to main lab and/or supervisory staff.
- Participate in continuing education opportunities available internally and/or externally; perform competency and proficiency challenges in a timely manner .
- Process specimens by centrifugation, aliquoting and sorting into specific test areas and for storage; coordinate the pick-up and delivery of specimens for Children’s Hospita, Quest and/or other reference labs; troubleshoot specimen-processing procedures.
- Investigate and handle improperly labeled specimens, requisition problems and inadequate specimens.
- Answer general information and specimen requirement questions and route technical questions to appropriate area for answers.
- Monitor and maintain daily records of laboratory equipment as required; maintain simple laboratory equipment and notify main lab and/or supervisor of unresolved problems; order routine lab/POCT inventory and supplies.
- Collect blood specimens by venipuncture and capillary method; conduct assigned routine laboratory tests such as urine dipstick, glucose, A1C.
- Follow directions precisely and maintain confidentiality .
- Attend in-services; be active in personal educational development; develops annual goals and a personal education program with the
- Supervisor; completes CHEX requirements.
- Maintains satisfactory time and attendance.
- Completes all Occupational Health requirements per policy and procedure
- Completes/maintains certification in Basic Life Support (BLS)
- Completes/maintains any certification or licensure as required by individual practice jurisdiction ( i.e. DC, Maryland, Virginia)
Organizational Accountabilities (Staff)
- Anticipate and responds to customer needs; follows up until needs are met
- Demonstrate collaborative and respectful behavior
- Partner with all team members to achieve goals
- Receptive to others’ ideas and opinions
- Contribute to a positive work environment
- Demonstrate flexibility and willingness to change
- Identify opportunities to improve clinical and administrative processes
- Make appropriate decisions, using sound judgment
Cost Management/Financial Responsibility
- Use resources efficiently
- Search for less costly ways of doing things
- Speak up when team members appear to exhibit unsafe behavior or performance
- Continuously validate and verify information needed for decision making or documentation
- Stop in the face of uncertainty and takes time to resolve the situation
- Demonstrate accurate, clear and timely verbal and written communication
- Actively promote safety for patients, families, visitors and co-workers
- Attend carefully to important details - practicing Stop, Think, Act and Review in order to self-check behavior and performance
1300 Hospital Dr Suite #201
Position Status: R (Regular) - O - PRN
Work Schedule: 08:00 - 16:30
: Jan 12, 2023, 7:24:36 PM