Ambulatory Patient Care Tech - Full Time (40 hrs/wk) - Primary Care Anacostia Tech - (220000FJ)
The Ambulatory Patient Care T ech will work in collaboration with the multidisciplinary health care delivery team under the direction of the Registered Nurse, to perform basic nursing care activities, assist to maintain a safe, clean, stocked patient care setting, assist staff members and help direct patient flow
High School Diploma or GED (Required)
Minimum Work Experience
1 year experience in an acute health care setting–preferably pediatrics (Required)
- Collect data and accurately document information for meaningful use including the chief complaint, current medications, allergies tobacco/smoking history and smoke exposure for all patients as reported by family; accurately obtain vital signs (TPR, BP), height, weight and head circumference; orient the family at the time of the visit to the clinic environment, paperwork, etc.
- Recognize abnormalities and report such to the Registered Nurse or Provider; assist in screening patients for pain using appropriate pain scale; recognize indicators of abuse and neglect and escalate positive findings to the Registered Nurse or Provider; recognize and remain with any child in distress, immediately institute Basic Life Support procedures when necessary; escalate any of the above to Registered Nurse or Provider for positive screen.
- Provide basic nursing care (e.g., provide nourishment, assist patient with ambulating, escort patient at time of discharge, etc.).
- Check and ensure all relevant equipment such as, but not limited to, scales, stadiometers, vital signs machines, otoscopes and
- ophthalmoscopes, oxygen and suction are in working order; performs corrective actions as needed and/or informs the Registered Nurse or appropriate person of repair needs.
- Collect specimens for testing according to policy and procedure and/or perform specific testing per individual clinic assignment including but not limited to POCT , lab draws as applicable to setting.
- Inform patient/guardian of collection process according to procedure; inform family of other clinical resources; offer brochures for specific health care needs of the family.
- Meet Joint Commission/DOH documentation requirements for clinic area.
- Complete clean sweep tool weekly.
Patient Flow and Unit Efficiency
- Help maintain a neat orderly environment.
- Assist with the preparation of the exam room to receive patients.
- Prioritize tasks and special requests; complete all tasks or report the inability to complete the task
- Obtain equipment and supplies and maintain PAR levels.
- Monitor waiting room and ensure families are kept informed of delays; provide directions to lab, radiology, cafeteria, etc.
- Identify children/families with special needs (i.e., child on stretcher , oxygen use, patient requiring isolation).
- Contribute to a positive work environment.
- Confer with appropriate personnel concerning unanticipated or unfamiliar problems.
- Greet patient/family and recognize different levels of education and adjust to meet the families’ needs; address families’ anxiety level; adapt to different personalities and emotions; monitor and report concerns or complaints to the Clinic Manager.
- and maintain a courteous, calm, comforting, and professional demeanor with patient/guardian and with multidisciplinary team members and clinic personnel.
- Perform, evaluate and report QC protocol; identify and resolve QC failures; document resolutions; report problems to main lab and/or supervisory staff.
- Participate in continuing education opportunities available internally and/or externally; perform competency and proficiency challenges in a timely manner .
- Process specimens by centrifugation, aliquoting and sorting into specific test areas and for storage; coordinate the pick-up and delivery of specimens for Children’s Hospita, Quest and/or other reference labs; troubleshoot specimen-processing procedures.
- Investigate and handle improperly labeled specimens, requisition problems and inadequate specimens.
- Answer general information and specimen requirement questions and route technical questions to appropriate area for answers.
- Monitor and maintain daily records of laboratory equipment as required; maintain simple laboratory equipment and notify main lab and/or supervisor of unresolved problems; order routine lab/POCT inventory and supplies.
- Collect blood specimens by venipuncture and capillary method; conduct assigned routine laboratory tests such as urine dipstick, glucose, A1C.
- Follow directions precisely and maintain confidentiality .
- Attend in-services; be active in personal educational development; develops annual goals and a personal education program with the
- Supervisor; completes CHEX requirements.
- Maintains satisfactory time and attendance.
- Completes all Occupational Health requirements per policy and procedure
- Completes/maintains certification in Basic Life Support (BLS)
- Completes/maintains any certification or licensure as required by individual practice jurisdiction ( i.e. DC, Maryland, Virginia)
- Anticipate and responds to customer needs; follows up until needs are met
- Demonstrate collaborative and respectful behavior
- Partner with all team members to achieve goals
- Receptive to others’ ideas and opinions
- Contribute to a positive work environment
- Demonstrate flexibility and willingness to change
- Identify opportunities to improve clinical and administrative processes
- Make appropriate decisions, using sound judgment
Cost Management/Financial Responsibility
- Use resources efficiently
- Search for less costly ways of doing things
- Speak up when team members appear to exhibit unsafe behavior or performance
- Continuously validate and verify information needed for decision making or documentation
- Stop in the face of uncertainty and takes time to resolve the situation
- Demonstrate accurate, clear and timely verbal and written communication
- Actively promote safety for patients, families, visitors and co-workers
- Attend carefully to important details - practicing Stop, Think, Act and Review in order to self-check behavior and performance
: District of Columbia-Washington
Goldberg - Anacostia
2101 Martin Luther King Jr. Ave SE
: Goldberg Cntr Cmnty Ped Hlth
Position Status: R (Regular) - FT - Full-Time
Work Schedule: Mon-Thurs 8am-8:30pm Fri-Sat 8am-4:30pm
: May 16, 2022, 3:26:00 PM