Internal Medicine PhysicianCHI Franciscan Health
Internal Medicine Physician
Responsible for the assessment and treatment of a wide range of illnesses and injuries, as well as providing vaccinations and preventative care for CHI Franciscan Medical Group (FMG). Serves as a patient advocate, as well as a role model for ethical management behavior and promotes awareness and understanding of positive ethical and moral principles consistent with the Mission, Vision, and Values of Franciscan Medical Group and Franciscan Health System.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS: The following section contains representative examples of job duties that might be performed in positions allocated to this job class. This is illustrative in nature as formal duties and expectations are outlined in the contract. CHI Franciscan Health is a dynamic organization, and the environment can be fluid. Roles and responsibilities may be altered to accommodate changing business conditions and objectives as well as to tap into the skills and experience of its employees. Accordingly, employees may be asked to perform duties that are outside the specific work that is listed. It is not required that any position perform all duties listed, so long as primary responsibilities are consistent with the work as described. Performance standards developed for incumbents allocated to this job class may also contain relevant job content information and are referenced hereto.
- Treat patients according to, and perform such clinical procedures as are consistent with the scope of the Physician’s licensure, clinical specialty and privileges, practice and training.
- Prepares and maintains all reports, claims, and correspondence necessary or appropriate to the performance of professional services.
- Participates in developing procedures specific to patient population. Assists in developing procedures for transfer of residents/patients to other organizations when necessary.
- Participates in committees and work teams including pharmaceutical management, infection control, and quality improvement. Serves as ad-hoc member and medical liaison to work teams as needed.
- Provides consultation in the development and maintenance of the medical record system. Assures that records are timely, complete and meet current standards.
- Maintains a professional attitude with residents/patients, visitors and other facility personnel while assuring confidentiality of information.
- Attend professional conventions, post-graduate seminars and continuing medical education programs to maintain and enhance Physician’s professional skills, and participate in professional societies on a reasonable basis.
- Provide coverage when other physician employees at the facilities at which Physician practices are unavailable due to vacations, holidays, illness, family or medical leave, and attendance at professional activities.
- Cooperate and participate in the recruitment of other physicians and medical personnel and participate in the supervision of physicians, APC’s, nurses and other medical personnel staff in accordance with FMG’s policies, procedures and applicable laws.
- Participate in and cooperate with FMG’s community service activities consistent with and in furtherance of CHI Franciscan Health Systems charitable mission by, without limitation, assisting in community health and wellness education, community service activities, and treatment of indigent and charity care patients, including patients covered by Medicaid and other state health programs.
- Keep and maintain (or cause to be kept and maintained) appropriate records (including, without limitation, patient charts) on a timely basis, pursuant to FMG policy and Medical Staff requirements at the Hospital/Medical Center or, as applicable, at such other facility at which Physician has medical staff privileges, relating to all professional medical services rendered by Physician.
- Actively and regularly promote his/her services and practice in the community by participating in appropriate marketing, speaking and community activities/events as recommended or requested by Hospital/Medical Center or FMG.
- Accept Physician’s proportionate share of after-hours call coverage within FMG’s practice.
- Cooperate with CHI Franciscan Health in the event of a claim, threatened claim, or litigation involving FMG.
- Participate in CHI Franciscan Health System credentialing and peer review activities.
Performs related duties as required.
MINIMUM JOB QUALIFICATIONS: The following section contains representative examples of competencies and job qualifications directly related to successful performance in the position. The categories are broad, reflecting minimum requirements. It is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all possible requirements nor does it include general competencies, expectations and/or skills that are universally applicable to the work, but are not critical for recruitment purposes or to overall job performance.
Education/Work Experience Requirements
Requires MD degree with Board Certification or Board eligibility with Board Certification within 3 years in general medicine or designated specialty and a current, unrestricted license to practice medicine in the state of Washington. Experience working in an integrated healthcare organization is preferred.
Ability to obtain and maintain membership on the attending or provisional attending medical staff of health center with appropriate practice privileges, pursuant to the qualifications and procedures set forth in health center’s medical staff bylaws; ability to become credentialed with commercial and government payers.
- Communicate effectively with such patients in English, or utilize available resources to communicate with patients demonstrating limited English proficiency;
- Ability to perform complex verbal and written communications face to face and in group settings.
- Must possess strong knowledge of regulatory standards affecting the delivery of medical care in an integrated healthcare system. Knowledge of applicable JCAHO, federal and state laws and standards.
- Well-developed skill in planning, organizing, evaluating, problem solving, and articulation.
- Must demonstrate high degree of flexibility, team-orientation, professionalism, trust, and place a high value on treating all other with dignity and respect.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships as required by the duties of the position.
- Ability to act promptly and makes appropriate decisions within the scope of the work assignment.
- Demonstrates knowledge for population-specific factors to perform safe and effective care to patients served in the designated medical specialty.
- Knowledge of standards of care, practices and procedures for providing effective patient care.
- Understanding or and ability to apply all aspects of patient safety when providing treatment.
- Ability to relate effectively with patients, families and other patient care givers.
- Ability to rely on experience and judgment to conduct patient assessments and evaluations.
- Demonstrated skills in managing chronic illness with compassion.
- Demonstrated skills in collaboration, teamwork and problem-solving to achieve goals.
- Demonstrated skills in listening and exhibiting compassionate understanding of others.
- Demonstrated skills in providing excellent service to customers.
Current unrestricted license to practice medicine in the state of Washington.
Must be able to be contracted and credentialed by third party payers including all state and federal programs.