Correctional OfficersChester County Prison
Chester County Prison is seeking Correctional Officers for employment in West Chester.
The Correctional Officer I is responsible for ensuring the safety of the public while preventing escapes, disorder and the entry of contraband into the institution. This position also supervises and communicates effectively with the inmates while operating in a correctional environment.
- Supervise the security and conduct of inmates in cells, during group meetings, meals, bathing, at recreation, during visitations, and on work and other assignments.
- Enforce all rules and regulations.
- Communicate and establish positive rapport with staff.
- Brief incoming staff for next shift.
- Inspect and maintain inventory and control over keys, tools, equipment and keepers at the beginning and end of each shift.
- Maintain health, safety and sanitation.
- Submit recommendations to appropriate departments.
- Participate in mandatory and elective training.
- Review and simulate emergency procedures / fire drills.
- Order authorized items as requested by inmates and distribute to inmates.
- Observe, monitor and supervise movement of inmates and inmate property.
- Devise and implement specified time schedules for controlled movement.
- Perform other duties, tasks and special projects, as required.
Qualifications/Preferred Skills, Knowledge & Experience
- High School Diploma or General Education Degree (GED).
- Basic skill to use a personal computer and various software packages.
- Exhibits sound and accurate judgment.
- Ability to handle and resolve recurring problems.
- Easily adapts to changes in the work environment.
- Ability to use common sense understanding to carry out written or verbal instructions.
A valid driver's license is required.
- Department of Corrections Training Academy graduate.
- Criminal justice background.
- Law enforcement experience.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to maintain confidential information and handle confidential matters.
- Strong professional ethics.
- Treats others with respect and consideration regardless of their status or position.
- Familiar with County of Chester Employee Handbook and Prison Handbook.