Basic Function: Under the direction of the Practice Manager, the Medical Assistant (MA) is responsible for providing nursing care to clinic patients as well as providing support and assistance to medical providers, care managers, and other staff to provide quality primary health care as part of a Patient Centered Healthcare team and coordinating direct patient care while facilitating patient flow within the clinic. Acts within the scope of his/her certification/registration/educational provisions and within the scope of Agency nursing protocols.
1. Prepares examination rooms for use by turning on instruments, computer systems (as applicable), lights and ensures exam rooms are clean, tidy, and well stocked each morning. Closes down, tidies, and stocks rooms at the end of each day.
2. Rooms patients per Canyonlands’ current standard (includes, but is not limited to: taking vital signs, noting chief complaint, noting allergies, etc). Documents findings in medical record timely and accurately.
3. Administers some oral medications, immunizations and other specified injections, SVN treatments, and TB skin tests after approval of competency by the Clinical Support Director, under direct supervision of the Provider, and within the guidelines and restrictions outlined in Agency protocol. Maintains current knowledge of the Agency’s immunization program per State of Arizona guidelines.
4. Performs EKGs, PFTs, audiograms, and vision tests.
5. Assists provider with routine examinations, special procedures, office surgeries, and chaperoning as necessary.
6. Maintains and proves clinical and lab competencies annually by participating in a skills lab or other method of assessment approved by the Clinical Support Director.
7. Completes well-child EPSDT forms/PE forms.
8. Demonstrates and may assist in prescription refill duties after approval from the Clinical Site Director.
9. Understands the UDS practice guidelines and incorporates those guidelines into the workflow.
10. Complies with CHC Standards of Conduct, Code of Conduct and Corporate Compliance. 04/05/13; 1/22/16; 6/21/17; 2/7/19 2
11. Provides Agency approved teaching literature and educational materials to patients and their families per Provider direction and may provide verbal instructions per Provider/RN/LPN direction.
12. Verifies supplies and medications on hand and assists with reordering as needed. Recommends newer clinically proven or cost effective alternatives to current products utilized by clinics.
13. Ensures established Quality Improvement, PCMH, and infection control activities are performed according to policy. Participates in Quality Improvement activities as directed.
14. Attends meetings, seminars, and conferences as appropriate to ensure skills and knowledge remain current.
15. Serves on various CHC and community committees as required/requested.
16. May perform the duties under the Laboratory Technician Job Description in the absence of the Lab Tech and upon completion of training deemed appropriate and approval by the Clinical Support Director.
17. May travel to provide coverage in other sites or to participate in training programs or continuing education.
18. Performs sterilization of medical instruments using an autoclave per Agency approved policy/procedure.
19. Uses PPE as appropriate.
20. Understands role in Disaster Plan and that safety is a condition of employment.
21. Follows CHC’s policies and procedures.
22. Other duties as assigned.
1. Ability to perform each essential function duty satisfactorily with or without reasonable accommodation. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
2. Completion of a Medical Assistant training program accredited by the CAAHEP, ABHES, ACCSC, or other accrediting body recognized by the US Department of Education.
3. CPR certified (BLS).
4. Possess a valid driver’s license.
5. Ability to read, write and speak clearly understandable English.
6. Good interpersonal and human relations skills are required. Must possess skills to empathize and care for a variety of patients, including low-income and diverse cultures and treat everyone (internal and external customers) with respect and dignity.
7. Ability to maintain confidentiality at all times in all situations and follow the laws and intent of the most current HIPAA laws and regulations and Canyonlands’ security and privacy policies. 04/05/13; 1/22/16; 6/21/17; 2/7/19 3
8. Above average computer skills to operate and/or learn Agency’s current EMR/EHR system.
9. Ability to be physically active for long periods of time to ensure patient care and safety and have the ability to work well under pressure and present self in calm, caring, and professional manner.
1. Registration or certification as a Medical Assistant achieved by the passing of the Medical Assistant exam administered by the AAMA (American Association of Medical Assistants) or the AMT (American Medical Technologists). NOTE: This qualification does not apply to incumbents in a Medical Assistant role who have been employed with the Agency since February 2000 without a break in service or to applicants who have completed a medical services training program in the Armed Forces of the United States.
2. One (1) plus years of directly related clinical experience.
3. Bi-lingual (English/Spanish/Navajo) language skills.
4. Extensive working knowledge of the NextGen EMR system. Knowledge of Microsoft programs with the ability to effectively communicate using Outlook.
5. Skilled in patient assessment and medical assistant procedures.
This position shall follow the appearance standards as outlined in Canyonlands’ Personnel Policy “Personal Appearance”.
Please click apply