Borough of Edgewater
The Police Department is in need of crossing guards for the school year. Applicants 18 and older may apply online or download an application from our website.
A valid New Jersey Drivers License is preferred.
Standard background checks are performed and guards need to report to posts by 6:45 a.m. and again by 2:00 p.m.
Edgewater is a historic Hudson River Municipality dating back to 1894. The borough has an early history in Bergen County. Industrialization came in the early 20th century and helped contribute to a rapidly growing residential community.
Edgewater was incorporated as a municipality on December 7, 1894, from portions of Ridgefield Township as the Borough of Undercliff, based on the results of a referendum that passed two days earlier. The borough was formed during the "Boroughitis" phenomenon then sweeping through Bergen County, in which 26 boroughs were formed in the county in 1894 alone. The borough's name was changed to Edgewater on November 8, 1899.
Constructed in 1904, Borough Hall is listed on both the National Register of Historic Places and the New Jersey Register of Historic Places as well as the Edgewater Public Library and the Binghamton Ferry.
The last remaining of 15 Carnegie libraries in New Jersey built with funds from the Carnegie Foundation, the Edgewater Free Library was dedicated on February 8, 1916. In addition to these sites, the Eleanor Van Gelder School is listed on the New Jersey Register of Historic Places.