Bus Driver/Light Maintenance/CustodianBiggs Unified School District
Biggs, CA Full-time
Posted on June 28, 2019
Bus Driver/Light Maintenance/Custodian needed at Biggs Unified School District. 6 hours/day; 5 days/week; $16.12 to $17.77/ hour. Must have or obtain valid Bus Driver License. District will assist top candidate.
WORK YEAR: 10 months; 6 hours/day; time to be determined
SALARY: Range 6 on the Classified Salary Schedule - $16.12 to 17.77/ hour - (Longevity - Depending on experience)
START DATE: August 13, 2019
JOB GOAL: To provide students with a safe, attractive, comfortable, clean, and efficient place in which to learn, plan, and develop. To provide students with safe transportation to and from school.
Graduation from high school or the equivalent. (1) Must have valid California Bus Driver license or the willingness to obtain one. If necessary, the District will assist the top candidate in obtaining the bus driver license. Must have/obtain knowledge of safe driving practices, and provisions of the California Motor Vehicle Code and Education Code that are applicable to the operation of vehicles in transporting school children. (2) Knowledge of modern cleaning methods, materials, and equipment used in custodial and light maintenance, and grounds care. (3) The ability to operate heating and ventilating equipment. (4) Ability to lift 60 pound from the floor and arm lift. (5) Ability to climb ladders to a height of 2 stories. (6) Ability to stand and sit for long periods of time. (7) Ability to read, write and follow oral and written instructions. (8) Ability to work cooperatively with administrators, principals, teachers, students and other personnel.
PERSONAL QUALITIES: Maintain a professional appearance; meet District standards for physical and mental health; demonstrate enthusiasm for assignment; demonstrate ability to maintain cooperative relations with others.
POSITION DESCRIPTION: Under the direction of assigned supervisors, perform custodial, light maintenance, and bus driver functions and perform related duties as assigned. (See individual job descriptions for Bus Driver, Light Maintenance and Custodian for further clarification on duties for this position)
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: Drive a school bus; transport student to and from school; transport children and teachers on field trips if assigned; maintain bus safety; clean bus regularly; inspect bus for needed repairs; pick up and discharge students at bus stops; escort children across streets; stop traffic if necessary; report safety incidents; maintain discipline on the bus; cite students for infractions; communicate with parents; plus perform other related duties as assigned.
Perform light maintenance duties such as changing light bulbs, light tubes, unclog toilets and sinks, change fuses, minor paint touchups, etc.
Perform custodial duties at assigned site; request supplies; clean classrooms, offices, cafeterias and other facilities; sweep, scrub, mop floors, vacuum rugs and carpets, strip, wax and refinish floors, shampoo and spot clean carpets; dust and polish furniture, light fixtures, and woodwork; clean chalkboards, trays and erasers; empty and clean waste receptacles and pencil sharpeners; clean and adjust shades or blinds; clean, scrub, and disinfect student and staff restrooms; wash windows and wall; clean sinks, mirrors and other bathroom fixtures; stock supplies and replenish as needed; pick up paper and other debris around the school grounds and buildings; drive a vehicle as necessary; plus perform other related duties as assigned.
Attend all meetings as directed.
Perform related duties as assigned.
DEMONSTRATED KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES:
- Materials, tools, equipment used in custodial work
- Modern cleaning methods
- Safety practices
- Applicable laws, codes, rules, and regulations related to school bus transportation
- CHP requirements for school buses
- Basic record keeping
- Interpersonal skills using tact, patience, and courtesy
- Perform custodial duties at District sites as assigned
- Operate and maintain cleaning equipment
- Maintain buildings and grounds in a clean, orderly, and secure condition
- Work independently with little direction
- Operate a school bus safely
- Maintain order and discipline
- Maintain vehicle in a clean and safe operation condition
- Lift students or goods or equipment
- Perform first aid or medical care
- Maintain consistent, punctual, and regular attendance
- Sit and stand for long periods of time
- Observe health and safety regulations
- Able to speak, read and write in English
- Communicate effectively with others
- Bend at the waist, kneel, or crouch
- Reach overhead, above the shoulders, and horizontally
- Move hands and fingers to perform job functions
- See to read printed materials
LICENSES AND OTHER REQUIREMENTS: Possession of a valid California School Bus Driver Certificate (Class B and Endorsement PS); Class B driver’s license with passenger endorsement; Valid First Aid/Red Cross Certificate or endorsement by the CHP; Floor and arm lift up to 70 pounds
- Indoor and outdoor environment
- Regular exposure to fumes, dust, and odor
- Seasonal heat and cold or adverse weather conditions
- Emergency call out
- Noise and fumes from equipment operation
- Exposure to chemical fumes and vapors
- Working around moving objects or vehicles
- Traffic conditions
- Potential body fluids