Director of External CommunicationsBand of the Poarch Creek Indians
Director of External Communications
Director of External Communications - (RFT): Closes September 20, 2019.
Overall Objectives of Position
The Director of External Communications is responsible for strategizing, implementing and managing media relations, and new media initiatives for the Poarch Band of Creek Indian. The Director of External Communications is responsible for the day-to-day media relations contact for the Tribe and media relations liaison with Tribal entities. This job description is not an all-inclusive list of the duties and responsibilities of this position. The Director of External Communications is expected to perform all duties and responsibilities necessary to meet the goal and objectives of applicable programs. The Director of External Communications is expected to live the Purpose and Values of the Poarch Band of Creek Indians and will go beyond the call of duty
Primary Responsibilities of the Director of External Communications
- Responsible for project management and assists the Government Relations team with strategic communications planning.
- Responsible for integrating communication strategies to proactively reach and influence external audiences with targeted messages and communication about the Tribe.
- Strategizes, implements, and manages media relations and new media initiatives for the Tribe.
- Leads and initiates proactive media relations strategy, actively working to underscore the priorities outlined in the strategic communications plan.
- Orchestrates and oversees day-to-day media relations, and serve as the Tribe’s official point of contact for all media requests. This includes the Chair’s Office, Tribal Departments, and Tribal Officials for all forms of media, with the exception of the tribal newsletter. This includes public and media appearances and conducting advanced planning and coordination, as required with private, public and media organizations for such events.
- Advises Tribal entities on media requests that involve multiple entities.
- Coordinates media relations placements and new media implementation strategies with Government Relations Advisor.
- Integrates traditional and new media strategies to proactively reach key audiences, underscoring Tribe’s messaging and priorities.
- Researches, writes and develops media relations tools, fact sheets, talking points, and other external communications tools that underscore the Tribe’s core messages.
- Reviews materials intended for release to ensure they represent the best interest of the Tribe and their entities and are consistent with the objectives and policies of such entities.
- Monitors public and private sector opinion about the Tribe and advises management on communication issues and strategies as needed.
- Works closely with the legislative team to ensure that key Tribal, State, and Federal officials receive prior written notification of scheduled events. Serves as a primary contact for such events.
- Develops relationships and represent the company with key influencers such as media, government leaders, and coalitions. This includes serving as Tribal representative on various boards as deemed appropriate (Community, City, State, etc).
- Serves as the spokesperson for the Tribe as needed for various talk, radio, tv, or other media interviews.
- May represent the company in a matter of National, State or local government organizations.
- Performs other duties as assigned by the appropriate person.