BAND DIRECTORBaker School District
Baker School District 5J
TEMPORARY BAND TEACHER – BHS/BMS
Notice of Position Opening: In/Out of District
Date Open: October 4, 2019
● Baker School District is currently seeking a candidate for the position of Temporary Band
Teacher at Baker High School and Baker Middle School beginning as soon as possible.
● Length of Position: 1 month to 3 months estimated.
● This position requires the candidate to hold or be eligible to hold an Oregon Teaching
License with the proper endorsement and authorization for the assignment.
● Aptitude: Thorough knowledge of performance skills on all brass, woodwind and
percussion instruments. Demonstrated knowledge and expertise in the area of vocal
music. Thorough knowledge of traditional musical styles.
a. Have a working (mechanical and structural) knowledge of all standard wind and
b. Be able to do fundamental maintenance on all standard wind and percussion
c. Have a fundamental operational knowledge of audio recording equipment.
d. Have a fundamental operational knowledge of sound reinforcement equipment.
e. Have a fundamental knowledge of other specific music performance-related
● Prior successful experience teaching music and/or band to adolescent students in a
school setting strongly preferred.
● Master’s degree (M.A.) or equivalent strongly preferred.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
● Develop students’ technique for playing brass, woodwind, and percussion instruments
and cover appropriate band literature styles for school and competitive performances.
● Design and implement a wide variety of appropriate instructional activities for students of
varying abilities and talents.
● Prepare students for all performances and provides for band participation at
extracurricular events, including three major concerts per band each year, football
games, pep rallies, and approved regional and state events.
● Organizes the BHS pep band’s performance at all home athletic events for football and
● Presents performances of high musical quality for the school and community in which
groups are well-disciplined and make a good appearance.
● Uses music of high quality in a variety of types and styles.
● Builds and maintains a program that attracts and holds at least enough students to
perform standard concert band literature with a characteristic ensemble sound and
● Collaborates with Chorus teacher(s) to provide students with integrated experiences.
● Designs or selects and uses planned sequences of instruction for the development of
band instrument technique and music reading.
● Ensures that instructional activities and materials are clearly related to District, school,
and department goals and objectives.
● Selects and requisitions required music, instruments, equipment, and supplies.
● Ensures that instruments and equipment are properly used, maintained, and stored, and that inventory records are accurate and current.
● Supervises students in out-of-classroom activities as assigned.
● Establish lettering criteria at the beginning of the year.
● Manage to fundraise for music programs under the supervision of the building principal.
● Be responsible for budgeted and fundraised money accounts.
● Report to and work under the supervision of the building principal.
● Perform other duties as assigned by the Supervisor.
● The salary will be based on the 2019-2020 Certified Salary Schedule. Placement on the
salary schedule is based on school district experience and education based upon official
transcripts. Hourly rate is $22.32 - $42.32
● This position has two extra duty stipends attached to it: one for BHS Band and one for
BMS Band. For this temporary position, these stipends will be prorated depending upon
after-hour concerts. Annual Salary Range for the stipend for BHS Band is $4,835 -
$5,872. Annual Salary Range for the stipend for BMS Band is $2,175 - $2,486.
● Currently, the Baker School District works a four-day workweek, however, certified staff
report for approximately one Friday per month for meetings and PD activities.
● Baker School District 5J offers a comprehensive and competitive benefits package with
multiple choices available to employees. Benefits offered include medical, dental and
vision insurance, life insurance, short and long term disability, long term care, tax-deferred retirement savings plans, and more. In addition, if PERS eligible, the District
shall pay the six percent (6%) employee contribution (PERS) required by ORS 238.200
and ORS 238A.330.
● This position will begin as soon as possible.
• In District (Current Employee on Contract with the District)
Letter of Interest and Current Resume
• Out of District
Apply at https://www.baker5jcareers.org/apply-now and submit a Certified Application,
upload a Letter of Interest, a current resume, and three current letters of
Recommendation. If you have any questions, please call Cathy Martin, Personnel
Department, at 541-524-2260, Ext. 1004, or email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
It is the district’s policy to provide veterans and disabled veterans with preference as required by
During the application process, a veteran will need to submit the following:
• Copy of the Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty (DD Form 214 or
215). OR Proof of receiving a non-service connected pension from the US Dept. of
• Disabled veterans must also submit a copy of their Veterans disability preference letter.
● Open Until Filled.
Baker School District is an equal opportunity educator and employer and does not discriminate on the grounds
of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, marital status, age, veterans’ status, familial status,
genetic information, disability, culture and/or financial status