CherryRoad Media is seeking a Newspaper Reporter for:
The Atchison Globe, Kansas (part or full time)
Successful candidates will do work on printed editions each week, as well as daily online content/social media upkeep.
Candidates must be located in the Atchison, Kansas area within a reasonable distance to adequately cover local events.
A reporter will gather community news, including local sports, that is relevant and addresses community needs and interest.
EXAMPLES OF THE WORK:
· Obtain relevant information through interviews, observations, attending events, and researching documents.
· Write accurate, fair, timely, information-packed and colorful stories. Know and use proper grammar, spelling and newspaper style.
· Select stories that reflect reader interest, both geographically and demographically, and reflect the diversity of the community.
· Use multimedia to tell stories through web updates, photography, blogging, etc.
· Develop community contacts, sources and other knowledge of the community and its interests.
· Edit, post/update content to the website and handle social media updates/management.
· Generate story ideas.
· Collaborate with reporter and editor colleagues in the region to set priorities based on news and opportunities to grow audience.
· Shoot still photos and videos. Edit video for publication
· Any other projects or assignments outlined by the editorial supervisor and/or publisher.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
· Communication skills for the ability to gather information and write articles.
· Ability to work with required technology and computer programs.
· Writing skills to include proper grammar, spelling, punctuation and journalism guidelines and AP style.
· Ability to react quickly to new developments and exercise judgement.
· Ability to manage multiple stories and deadlines.
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
· Degree in Journalism or related field of study preferred, but not required.
· Other combinations of education and experience will be considered.
At CherryRoad you can expect a refreshing and personal culture that encourages idea sharing and collaboration. Here your knowledge, abilities and work experience count.
At CherryRoad Media...opportunity becomes achievement.