This position is a member of the Credit team, which is responsible for managing all Credit Risk functions at the Bank. The areas of responsibility include review and monitoring of the existing portfolio. This includes identifying credit weaknesses or areas to improve, and then developing the policy, procedures, tools and training to impact change. Responsibilities also include assisting bankers in business development strategies, pricing, and identifying target markets.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Credit Risk Information Management Reporting
Information related to Credit Risk is utilized for a wide range of purposes including:
* Management Reporting;
* Regulatory Reporting;
* Credit Risk rating and classification;
* Monitoring risk in larger individual loans;
This information must be accurate, timely, cost effective, and adaptable to changing conditions. The overall goal of this responsibility is to identify current and possible future credit risks that may cause American Federal to exceed targeted credit loss tolerances.
Loan Review: Loan Review is the early warning system for the Credit Department. Loan Reviews are completed to assure compliance with Credit Policy and evaluate Credit Administration of Business Units and individual Bankers.
The goals of the Loan Review Program include:
* Assure loans are underwritten and closed according to bank policy and are in compliance with all prior approval conditions;
* Assure that all intended collateral has been taken, properly perfected and is appropriately being controlled;
* Evaluate the judgment of the individual Banker in managing the loan closing and ongoing administration of the banker's loan portfolio;
* Assure the accuracy and reliability of the Risk Rating System and Regulatory Classifications;
* Determine that required monitoring information has been received in a timely fashion and accurately analyzed;
* Evaluate the effectiveness of Bankers in utilizing monitoring information to adapt to changing risk on individual borrowers;
* Identify training needs and necessary updates to credit policy & procedure;
Advisory Role: The Credit Department provides expertise in various lending issues and applications including expertise in numerous specialized areas of lending.
The goal of the Credit Officer is to build the knowledge and understanding of these areas in themselves and in individual Bankers so they can successfully accomplish their goals. This includes but is not limited to developing and delivering training for bankers, telephone support for specific questions and development of clear lending procedures and a well-defined credit culture.
* Develops standards relating how loans are documented and train Bankers and Associates in those requirements;
* Researches and provides direction to lending officers regarding legal issues relating to all lending programs;
* Serves as a resource to Bankers in prospecting, underwriting, and structuring loans, and in utilizing the underwriting and documentation systems developed for that purpose;
* Assist bankers dealing with foreclosure, repossession of collateral, and loan workout situations;
* Monitors changes in bank regulations regarding topics such as appraisals and other compliance issues, and provides input on policy and / or procedure changes required to comply with those changes;
Loan Portfolio: Commercial and Agricultural lending make up a significant portion of the Bank's Loan Portfolio. The Credit Officer monitors the portfolio to assure Bankers are consistently and conservatively underwriting Commercial / Agricultural loans while supporting portfolio growth targets.
Some of the tasks that are currently carried out to accomplish these goals include:
* Support role for action planning / problem loan resolution;
* Monitoring systems to assure credit is administered properly and timely;
* Serve in an approval role for credits exceeding individual bankers lending authority;
* Update, create, train to and implement credit underwriting and monitoring tools or systems;
* Updating, creating and training for credit policy and procedure to maintain the loan portfolio within the bank's risk guidelines and credit culture;
Regulatory Reporting / Management: The Credit Department / Officer provides accurate and timely reporting to regulatory agencies and develops new or updated reporting as regulations change to assure compliance at all times with regulatory reporting requirements. Duties include:
* Provide accurate regular reporting to regulatory agencies and bank management team;
* Monitors for regulatory changes and develops or updates reporting to comply with those updates;
* Updates credit policy, procedure, guidelines and tools to comply with regulatory requirements, and provides training to bank employees as needed to correctly utilize tools and comply with the changes in regulation;
Strategic Function: The Credit Department / Credit Officer must continually provide strategic guidance, thoughts & ideas to bank management to grow and improve the overall financial health of the bank. This includes a broad range of possibilities that may impact overall direction of the bank, including adjustments to credit management, or even credit culture / risk appetite. It is undefined and open to interpretation, changes and adjustments on an ongoing basis, with creativity and new ideas encouraged.
SUPPORT ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Performs routine review and analysis of business, commercial, and agricultural loans approved under Banker's delegated authority for consistency with bank policy and adherence to proposed and approved loan service plans;
2. Monitors all loan administration plans for compliance to loan approval requirements and identifies documentation exceptions. Reports exceptions to Senior Credit Officer and monitors to assure they are corrected;
3. Assists in management of Action Planning/Problem Loan Resolution to minimize Charge-offs and Non-Performing Assets;
4. Assists in developing bank lending policies and procedures;
5. Represents the bank to the customer in a courteous and professional manner, and for providing prompt, efficient, accurate service for processing transactions;
6. Effectively refers customers for sales of American Federal products and services;
7. Leads or supports special projects;
8. Demonstrates the American Federal Brand and Customer Touchpoints;
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT
* Operate bank and office equipment, including PC, telephone, fax, cell phone, and photocopier.
* Talk and hear, use hands to write and to finger keyboard, telephone, cell phone other bank and office equipment, and to handle other objects. Frequent sitting, standing, reaching with hands and arms, bending and walking. Close and distant vision and ability to focus.
* Interact with others.
* Lift 50 pounds and move for 15 yards.
* Travel to customer locations, other American Federal banking locations and Home Office.
It is the responsibility of the employee in this position to notify the supervisor or Marketing and Human Resources if unable to perform the responsibilities of the position or if an accommodation to perform the responsibilities in needed.
1. Undergraduate degree in finance, economics, agriculture, business or related fields.
2. Five to ten years of increasingly responsible job experience in credit analysis, loan underwriting and documentation, focusing on agricultural, commercial or commercial real estate.
3. Three or more years of loan review and/or experience in policy and procedure development and implementation desired.
4. Highly developed computer skills in spreadsheet applications, word processing, and database reporting software. Preference for Excel, PowerPoint & Word proficiency.
5. Broad knowledge of bank lending department operations, procedures and regulatory reporting requirements.
6. Excellent interpersonal, written, and oral communication skills required.
7. Self-starter, conscientious, comfortable with detail, and able to view the big picture.
8. Work effectively in a working environment balancing multiple priorities, placed by various bank business unit lending staff and corporate management.
Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer
Including Protected Veterans and Individuals with Disabilities