Registered Phone NurseAlabama Medical Group PC
Mobile, AL Full-time
Posted on August 14, 2019
Registered Phone Nurse
Full Time RN phone nurse for busy multi-specialty clinic. Experience preferred. Non smoking facility. Excellent benefits.
Essential Job Responsibilities:
- Talks directly to patients on the telephone and then directs them to emergency rooms (ERs) or urgent care centers or to see their physician during office hours
- Performs short evaluation of the patient situation to estimate severity of illness and/or injury including learning about chief complaint and, as possible, obtaining vital sign and mental status information.
- Determines urgency of seeing the patient based on brief assessment and on familiarity with a patient’s condition and history. Confers with physician as needed.
- Send those with high-risk complaints such as chest pain, abdominal pain, or severe headaches to ER immediately or arranges for ambulance. May provide appropriate home health advice to those patients who do not need to go directly to the ER.
- Sets up appointment for patients who do not need to go to ER but need to see physician or arranges for an appointment scheduler to make the appointment.
- Acts, when appropriate, in “Ask a Nurse” capacity, handling routine information requests from patients, e.g., “Do I need a flu shot every year/ When are you giving these shots/.”
- Obtains, verifies, and records health history of patients. Gathers pertinent health data through physical assessments and biological samples. Collects specimens for laboratory analysis.
- Provides basic patient care as ordered. Administers medications and treatments as directed. Assists other health care professionals in performing exams, diagnostic procedures and treatments, and minor medical procedures. Adheres to infection control/safety guidelines and confidentiality policies.
- Documents assessments, intervention, patient/family responses, medication dispensed/prescribed, and test results in medical records.
- Promotes wellness by providing patient education materials, communicating physician advice/instructions.
- Other duties as assigned by supervisor.