Executive and Engagement Assistant
Are you passionate about building an equitable clean energy future? Join a team of like-minded professionals who are working to help reduce energy waste and combat the climate crisis while advancing equity. At ACEEE you will be part of an organization that makes a difference and delivers energy savings to communities across the country. Join our growing team and help us work toward a 50% reduction in energy use by 2050.
The American Council for an Energy-Efficient Economy (ACEEE), a leading nonprofit research organization based in Washington, DC, seeks a full-time executive and engagement assistant to join its team. ACEEE conducts independent analysis and develops transformative policies to build a vibrant and equitable economy that uses energy more productively, protects the environment, and promotes the health, safety, and well-being of everyone.
ACEEE’s organizational culture is collaborative and team-oriented with a strong commitment to its mission. Staff work at an energetic pace within a dynamic and entrepreneurial environment with opportunities for professional growth and development. There is a high degree of workplace flexibility, with an emphasis on results, making ACEEE an enjoyable and fulfilling place to work. ACEEE is committed to cultivating and preserving a culture of diversity, equity, and inclusion while integrating equity into our research, policy, and outreach work.
ACEEE seeks an executive and engagement assistant to support its executive team, act as a liaison to its board of directors, and track and assess the engagement of its audiences. The position provides a blend of administrative work, writing projects, and independent responsibilities. This is an exciting position for someone looking to learn the ins and outs of nonprofit administration and to help mobilize and scale up energy efficiency to reduce greenhouse gas emissions and combat climate change while advancing equity.
The executive and engagement assistant works closely with ACEEE’s leadership and has a variety of opportunities to work with a team of highly respected energy efficiency experts across the organization. This position reports to the chief operating officer. The core responsibilities of the position include:
- Supporting the executive director and chief operating officer by scheduling internal and external meetings, preparing meeting agendas and materials, assembling legal contracts, and carrying out other tasks at the request of the executive team.
- Supporting ACEEE’s internal committees, including the diversity, equity and inclusion committee and the organization’s social committee, by carrying out defined administrative tasks.
- Acting as a staff liaison to the board of directors. This involves frequent interactions with board members and tasks including managing the board website, scheduling meetings, preparing meeting agendas and materials, and taking minutes.
- Tracking and assessing the engagement of ACEEE’s followers and collaborators. This involves using Salesforce to gather and organize information about who makes up ACEEE’s audience and how these followers and collaborators interact with our work.
The position will offer valuable experience in a range of nonprofit activities. In addition to carrying out the core responsibilities listed above, the assistant will be able to pursue opportunities for further growth in areas of greatest interest. All our previous executive assistants have transitioned into more senior roles in the organization.
Expectations and Responsibilities:
- Highly motivated, self-starter. The executive and engagement assistant must be able to work independently and as part of a team.
- Excellent time-management skills. The executive and engagement assistant will need to prioritize and perform tasks in a timely manner.
- Superb attention to detail. The executive and engagement assistant will be trusted with a variety of tasks requiring careful attention, including organizing materials and logistics to help meetings run smoothly and reviewing and assembling legal contracts.
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills. The executive and engagement assistant will be required to communicate effectively with members of the board and when scheduling external meetings. The assistant will be assigned occasional writing tasks and will have the opportunity to independently produce a monthly newsletter for ACEEE staff.
- High level of comfort with technology. Among ACEEE staff, the executive and engagement assistant will be a leading user of Microsoft Office, Zoom, Salesforce and other technologies. The assistant must have prior experience using these tools or be able to master them quickly.
- Strong interpersonal skills and comfort working closely with people in leadership positions. The executive and engagement assistant will interact frequently with leaders in the organization and in the energy efficiency field.
- Values diversity. The executive and engagement assistant has a demonstrated interest in advancing racial equity, diversity, and inclusion.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience
Preferred start date: October 2022, based in Washington, DC, with the opportunity to work remotely 1–2 days per week.
Salary: Commensurate with qualifications and experience. Salary range is $44,452 – $55,565. ACEEE’s generous benefits package includes health, dental, vision, disability, and life insurance coverage; a 403(b) retirement plan; transportation and bike share benefits; three weeks of vacation in the first year and four weeks thereafter.
To apply: Use the Paylocity Recruitment link. We do not accept phone calls or emails about the position.
Please let us know how you heard of this opening.
ACEEE is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to a policy of nondiscrimination with regard to race, sex, color, age, religion, creed, class, sexual orientation, national origin, and disability. ACEEE is committed to increasing diversity and inclusion in its organization and encourages applicants with diverse racial, ethnic, and socioeconomic backgrounds to apply.